Opamp dyskretny LF03

Opamp dyskretny LF03

Projekt z Indii, zaprojektowany przez user'a: linuxguru
o mail'u: siva.chander@gmail.com
(If interested in either unit, please send a PM or email to me: siva dot chander at gmail dot com.)

wiadomo tylko, że jest to opamp dyskretny LF03, a w zasadzie połączone dwa single LF03s

hy0ya9kmk.jpg

tutaj mała zagajenie tematu...
divaudio 1
divaudio 2

Twórca o swoim opampie
(wzięte z forum ww.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-line-level/207871-lf03-discrete-opamp.html):

The first prototype LF03 is built, functional, and sounds very good as the line amplifier in a Marantz DV-4400 DVD player. Here's the present BoM - some values will evolve over the next few prototypes:
Q1: 2sc1845F
Q2: 2sa733 (not great, but it's only an emitter follower here)
Q3..Q8: 2sc1845F
Q10..Q11: 2sa992E

D1: 1N4148

R1: 1k
R2: 6.8R
R3: 22R
R4, R6: 1k
R5: 33k
R7, R9: 33k
R8: 150R
R10: 1k
R11, R12: 1k
R13: 82k
R14: 150R

C1: 6.8nF ERO KC1850 polycarbonate film/foil
C3: 680pF ERO KC1850 polycarbonate film/foil
C2, C4: 15pF Philips C0G ceramic plate type
C5: (omitted in first prototype, typically 22 to 100 pF).

The dimensions of the base PCB are ~19mm x 17mm (~3/4" x 11/16") and the height, including pins, of the entire assembly is 40mm (~1 9/16"). It's larger than a DIP-8 chip - whether it will fit depends on clearances to adjacent parts. It's possible to use one or more DIP-8 sockets as spacers to raise the assembly above adjacent parts if there's interference.

I thought about the reversed (back-to-back) assembly of the daughter boards (which is used presently on the Burson HD discretes), and it slightly complicates the assembly on the base PCB. In principle, it is possible, but requires a fresh base PCB layout (or something like a perf-board).

Supply voltages are +/- 9..15V on the first prototype. I got some initial feedback that there's interest in using it in PCI sound cards, which often run the analog section on regulated +/- 5V. I'll be testing a mod (requires one track cut and one diode mounted on the solder side, or no track cuts but two diodes to be squeezed into the component side) that will allow operation on a wider range of supplies, say +/- 5..18V if possible.

At +/- 15V, the GBW (simulated) is ~10 MHz (not too fast, but adequate). I tested it in a Marantz DV-4400 DVD player in place of the stock JRC-something opamp. The design of the Marantz is not optimal, in that it uses an SMPS located less than 2" away for all rails, including the analog rails. Nevertheless, the improvements in audible sonics are immediately apparent. It is darker, more transparent, has greater detail and with improved dynamics and imaging.

Edited by Blondie

Po raz pierwszy w Polsce! (09 Maj 2014)

LF03d – dual
LF03s - singiel

LF is acronym for Lake-Forest. „Lake” for clear, transparent, liquid-like sound; and "Forest" for deep, dark, airy sound. A place where I take vacations occasionally has both a Lake and a Forest, and that's where I got some of the ideas used in these opamps.

LF03 to prototypowe op-amp'y dyskretne z Indii w cenie 30$ za singiel i 60 $ za dual (transport do Europy z Indii to ok 4$-6$ ship 1 piece by IndiaPost Registered Airmail). Długi czas oczekiwania na towar, bo i robota jednostkowa na konkretne zamówienie, wiadomo.
Opłata dla twórcy przez PAYPAL (więc nie ma strachu, wszystko będzie pod kontrolą i bezproblemowo) na adres mailowy (siva.chander@gmail.com).
Kontakt też na tego mail’a, muszę dodać, że Pan Sivasankar CHANDER z miejscowości Chennai jest bardzo sympatyczny. Można z Nim wymieniać spokojnie korespondencję, cierpliwie tłumaczy wszystkie kwestie. W samym kontakcie z konstruktorem już jest duży plus.

Co do LF03d, jest to już 4. wersja/rewizja op-amp-a w przeciągu ponad 2 lat tworzenia/testowania:
---1st version: Through-hole assembly, RC compensation between LTP collectors (similar to classic Melcor 1731). Average sonics.
---2nd version: Through-hole assembly, major change to input stage load section, RC compensation omitted, dual Miller compensation on VAS. Brilliant sonics.
---3rd version: SMD assembly, schematic nearly identical to the 2nd version except that the VAS CCS has been changed to a JFET + source R instead of 2x BJT + 2R (mainly to save board area).
---4th version: SMD assembly, topology nearly identical to the 3rd version with changed resistor values to reduce quiescent current to around 10 mA per channel. Also added overcompensation capacitor similar to AD797. Simulated THD20 is the lowest of all 4 versions: -100 dBr at 4V output amplitude into 600R load, unity gain buffer. Sonics are still being evaluated right now.

Mój opamp LF03d ver. 4 jest identyczny jak na zdjęciu, różni się wartością niektórych elementów elektronicznych,
np kondensator C3 ma zwiększoną wartość.

deffiehdh9j9g.jpg

Twórca sprzedał już 5 opampów LF03 ver.2 do Szwecji, zapewne jeszcze do USA, w Polsce ani jednego. (I've sold 4 or 5 of the second through-hole version to an enthusiast in Sweden, but not to anybody in Poland, AFAIK)

Mini recenzja LF03 z USA napisana przez Bob McDaniels (wersja w oryginale):
„Wow Siva, very nice. Finally tested the LFO-3 and the results make me sorry I delayed. I had my head right between the speakers when I first turned the system on and WOW was what came to my mind. I wasn't sure what I was hearing but as I let the song play, just swapped out the parts and powered up again, there was a big difference. What I'm hearing is the same bump up in clarity that the LFO-1 gave the V1.3 amps. It's that Class A sonic signature I'm beginning to recognize. It is indeed comparatively laid back but the sparkle and shimmer is mostly intact. It's easy to mistake some forms of high end distortion/fuzz as brilliance. This module seems to expose a detectable difference there. Bells are crisp, drums maintain the attack and the ride cymbals are clean but I can hear more musicality in their sound. There seems to be a slight narrowing of the stage on my open back speakers on some big band selections, but there also appears to be a little more depth. The words that comes to mind are homogenized slightly to the center. On a vocal/guitar/oboe song the opposite is true. Another jazz selection sounds much warmer and deeper than I've ever heard it - which makes me think I'm hearing what's in the recording more accurately. I'll have to do more listening to pin hat down. I have a „one size fits all” test track (see link below) that has some of everything. The LFO-3 takes off some edgy blare at the top of the trumpet crescendos but retains the punch and brilliance. There are some bottom bass drum hits that have a new sound - like the difference between bass reflex and sealed speakers. The sound/SPL is noticeably slightly lower on those, but they are cleaner and their effect within the composition is more realistic. I'm not getting any hum or hiss with the module installed in the Mini2496 DAC. I had to add one more riser to clear some caps from Dario's upgrade and may try to move some things around to get this piece closer to the PCB. I'll do more listening this weekend, but for now I'll repeat what I said about the LFO-1 " You don't know what you've got till it's gone" Clean, Clean, and Relaxed. Nice work !”

Zalecana aplikacja przez Siva:
[...] However, please evaluate it in applications which it is intended for - i.e. with high-Z loads and output currents in the range of a few mA (10 mA max). If it's used to directly drive low-Z headphones, it will probably go into clipping at fairly low levels. It does best in line amps and I/V converters driving loads of a few kohms or higher. [...]

Więc czy opamp LF03 można zastosować w LC? Można, odpowiedź Siva:
[...] It should work in this application, since the diamond buffer takes care of the high-current draw. There is still an minor issue of stability, if the diamond-buffer is within the global negative-feedback loop. However, if you have even a small amount of gain (like 2x or higher), it should be stable. [...]

Jeszcze dopytałem:
I use gain of 10dB or even greater (maximum is 20dB), output impedance resistors (in series) is 47R. In my application i use 4.7k RF resistor (isn't to big for this opamp?) RG is 680R and 2.2K.

Odpowiedź Siva
I think it should be fine, but you actually have to plug it in and check that it is stable. At 20 dB gain, it should be stable for sure, and most probably at 10 dB. In my simulations, it is fine at unity gain without an output buffer.

Jak to gra?
Gra na najwyższym poziomie, plasuje się w okolicach opampa BURSON’a, a być może i go przerasta.
LF03d ma wszystkie zalety burson’a oraz niweluje jego wady – czyli poprawia basy.
W LF03 basy są naturalne, głębokie, wielowymiarowe - kolejny atut po jego stronie.

Muszę zaznaczyć, że ten op-amp gra bardzo neutralnie, bardzo detalicznie, bardzo szybko (na marginesie dodam, że op-amp Burson lubi troszkę podkoloryzować). Fakt ten powinien zachęcić ewentualnych nabywców. LF03d nie tworzy sztucznie środowiska, nic od siebie nie dodaje, nie przekształca, bo podaje to co otrzymał w niezmienionej formie, tylko odpowiednio wzmocnionej. Kolejny plus dla op-amp’a! a do tego fenomenalna holografia, krystaliczna góra, dobrze wypełniony i umiejscowiony środek. Opamp gra mocniej górą, co nie znaczy że góra wyprzeda inne pasma.
Op-amp'a ciężko przesterować, w pełnym zakresie aż do max głośności podaje dźwięki pod stałą kontrolą, nie udało mi się przesterować jego na słuchawkach, uszy mi wysiadły.
Można tak pisać długo, śmiem twierdzić, że jest to op-amp zbliżający się do ideału.
Świetna separacja, no wyjątkowa, wyprzedzająca nawet opa burson’a. Niektóre utwory poznałem na nowo, bo nie spodziewałem się, że zawierają w sobie takie subtelne ciekawostki, to bardzo miłe zaskoczenie.
Uwaga! LF03d bezpardonowo obnaża niedoskonałości nagrań, co czasami jest niemiłym zaskoczeniem, ale tym bardziej dobrze świadczy to o op-amp’ie.

Kolejnym atutem jest jego wielkość. Układ bardzo mały i spokojnie schowa się na stojąco pod obudową Lovely Cube, a jest to wyczyn, bo tam obudowa jest bardzo niska.

Tyle zalety, wady są?
Ciężko powiedzieć wady, bo ich brak, ale powiedzmy są mikro niedociągnięcia, które mogą wynikać nie z samego LF03, ale z konstrukcji samego Lovely Cube. Chodzi o górne pasmo, w którym bardzo delikatnie przy skrajnych wartościach może szeleścić. Może dla innych będzie to plus a nie minus? :-)

Podsumowując.
Gdybym napisał że LF03d jest lepszy od Burson’a i na odwrót, to zrobiłbym gradację niesprawiedliwą. Uważam, że oba opampy są w tej samej - najlepszej lidze!
Osobiście polecam tego op-ampa, będzie to dobrze wydane 60$.

ps z dnia 18.05.2014
jednak LF03 ustępuje mocy opa Burson i ląduje na miejscu drugim

pozdrawiam

Edited by Blondie